Three ways to attend Green Symposium next week
Release Date: July 23, 2010
HOWEY-IN-THE-HILLS — There are three ways to attend the Second Annual Green Symposium on Thursday, July 29, and Friday, July 30, at Mission Inn Resort & Club.
- Register for the two-day workshop for $100. Cost includes breakfast Friday morning, lunch on Thursday and Friday and a banquet Thursday evening. View entire agenda and register at www.lakecountyfl.gov/greensymposium (11.75 AICP credits pending). A variety of environmentally friendly initiatives in different industries will be discussed including energy conservation, green job creation, green transportation, water consumption policy, green tourism, natural waste to power, waste stream reduction and sustainable communities.
- Choose to attend one of the lunches or dinner banquet to hear keynote speakers at a discounted rate of $25 per lunch or $50 for the banquet. Register at www.lakecountyfl.gov/greensymposium.
- Thursday lunch: Billy Hattaway, Managing Director for Transportation at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin
- Thursday banquet: Daniel Parker, Assistant Division Director of Environmental Health, Florida Department of Health
- Friday lunch: Doug Alderson, author of New Dawn for the Kissimmee River: Orlando to Okeechobee by Kayak, The Ghost Orchid Ghost and Other Tales from the Swamp, and Waters Less Traveled: Exploring Florida's Big Bend Coast.
- Attend free homeowner’s educational workshops on Thursday. No registration is necessary.
- o 9:15 a.m. — Florida Friendly Landscaping with Charles Fedunak, Lake County Extension
- o 10 a.m. — Homeowner Maintenance for Wells and Septic Systems with Paul Butler and Jerry Brown from the Lake County Health Department
- o 10:45 a.m. — Water Conservation with Gregg Welstead, Lake County Department of Conservation & Compliance
- o 1:15 p.m. — Natural Living with Natural Skin Care Expert Claudia Virga, Organic Gardner Joy Scroggie and Nurse Practitioner Joanne Keller
- o 2:30 p.m. — Residential Energy Efficiency with John McCarthy, Lowe’s
- o 3:15 p.m. — Energy Efficiency Retrofitting with Tommy Mydlo, Regency Lighting
The Lake County Green Symposium is sponsored by Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure Inc., Waste Management, Lake-Sumter Metropolitan Planning Organization, Florida Department of Health, Covanta Energy, First Green Bank, Florida Planning & Zoning Association, Lake County Board of County Commissioners, Mission Inn Resort & Club and Lake County Green Team. For more information, log on to www.lakecountyfl.gov/greensymposium or call (352) 343-9647.
Lake County media contact:
Public Information Coordinator
Office: 352-343-9603; Cell: 352-455-0445